Eat, Drink, Live

Eat, Drink, Live.

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Balanced Breakfasts: Oatmeal, Smoothies, and More! - Recipes

I'm a yogurt eater. My breakfast usually consists of fat free plain greek yogurt, fresh fruit, a dash of cinnamon, and a little vanilla extract or cocoa powder. But after the disappearance of our local grocery store, keeping Greek yogurt (and fresh fruit) in the fridge has been a struggle, considering how much I actually eat in a week. So I've had to get creative and come up with some new breakfasts that I can make on a daily basis that are equally fast, easy, and of course, healthy and filling. Oatmeal, Smoothies, and Hard-Boiled Eggs have become my new domain.

Oatmeal

Oatmeal is fantastic, because I can make it the night before and simply reheat the next morning. It's also super healthy. It can help lower cholesterol, stabilize blood sugar, prevent weight gain, is high in fiber, and some studies indicate that oatmeal's health promoting ability is equal to…or maybe even higher…than fruits and veggies!

This is, of course, if you're eating the good old-fashioned stuff. Oatmeal packets that are already flavored are full excess sugar. It is easy to make oatmeal on your own that is way healthier than the prepackaged stuff.

In my previous post, I shared Carla Hall's recipe for Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal, which is fantastic, but I've switched up her recipe a bit to make some other delicious oatmeal creations that are perfect for a morning breakfast, but an also be eaten as a sweet treat any time of the day! These recipes are also easy to make in larger batches, enabling you to create a stock of oatmeal in the fridge for hose days that you're on the go! 

Here are some of the fantastic oatmeal recipes I've developed that keep me satisfied when my greek yogurt is no longer in reach:

This Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal is Great for Dinner or Dessert!

Carla Hall's Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal

This recipe is the first that I've tried, and wow, was it good! The rest of my oatmeal recipes have stemmed as a variation from this one, but Carla's oatmeal is a sweet, chocolatey treat. Add some slivered almonds, raspberries or strawberries, or maybe some chocolate chips for a delicious variation. And, as a bonus, this also tastes great cold…almost like a chilled pudding. Give this one a try, and I assure you, that you will NOT be disappointed. 





Pumpkin Spice and Banana Oatmeal

Makes 2 Servings:

1 1/2 c. Almond MIlk
1 c. old fashioned oats
1 tsp. Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter
1 tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
Dash of ground clove
1 banana, sliced

  • Pour almond milk and old fashioned oats into a pot over medium heat. 
  • Add all of the ingredients except the banana, and cook according to the directions on the oatmeal container until the oats are done (about 6-10 minutes). Stir continuously with a spatula
  • Remove from heat, and add the sliced banana. Mix together, and divide into two servings. Eat one now, and save the other for later!
This would be fabulous with the addition of walnuts! I made this today and added some shredded coconut to the top for a little extra deliciousness!


Cinnamon-Sugar Apple Oatmeal
Try this apple cinnamon oatmeal for a healthy,
sweet morning treat!

1 1/2 C. Almond Milk
1 c. Old Fashioned Oats
2 tbs. brown sugar
1 Tbs. Cinnamon
1 apple, sliced into small pieces

  • Pour almond milk and old fashioned oats into a pot over medium heat. 
  • Add all of the ingredients except the apple, and cook according to the directions on the oatmeal container until the oats are done (about 6-10 minutes). Stir continuously with a spatula
  • Remove from heat, and add the sliced apple. Mix together, and divide into two servings. 
This one may be my favorite of them all! Add some pecans for a delicious twist!


Smoothies

For days where I have a little more time in the morning, but I need something to hold me over until late afternoon, I make smoothies. Although smoothies can be packed with sugar, using natural ingredients can actually make smoothies a relatively balanced breakfast, packed with vitamins and antioxidants to keep you going throughout the day. Here's a recipe of just one of the smoothies I typically make in the morning:

Rise and Shine Breakfast Smoothie

  • 1 c. almond milk
  • 1/2 c. frozen berries (I usually use mixed berries, but any fruit would do! You could also use fresh fruit if you have it on hand!)
  • 1 heaping handful fresh spinach (I promise you won't taste it, but the spinach makes this smoothie even more healthy)
  • 5-7 whole raw almonds (for added protein)
  • 1/4 c. Yogurt (I usually add plain Greek yogurt, but add a flavor to switch it up!)
  • Healthy dash of cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • Small handful of oatmeal (I'll add some oats for a little extra fiber…plus they add a nice flavor and texture!)
  • Sweetener to taste (You could add a little sugar, honey, or I add a tiny bit of stevia for a little extra sweetness, but sometimes the fruit and yogurt makes it sweet enough! But if you're using plain greek yogurt, I would definitely add a little honey or other sweetener to cut the tartness)
  • 4-5 Ice cubes

Blend, serve, and enjoy!
You can put the eggs right on the racks, or use a muffin tin!

Hard-Boiled Eggs

I love eggs, but sometimes making them in the morning before class can be a challenge. Hard-boiling eggs is a great way to prepare ahead of time, but I've found an even easier way!

Celebrity chef Alton Brown's method for "hard-boiling" eggs is truly fantastic. Instead of using a pot of water on the stove, he recommends baking them. So some nights, I'll bake several eggs for my breakfast the next morning. Add a little salsa, and you have a flavorful and protein-rich breakfast!

There's no "real" recipe for this…all you have to do is bake your eggs for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. The shells may get a little spotted, but that's okay! Remove with tongs, and put in an ice bath to cool, peel, and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment