Eat, Drink, Live

Eat, Drink, Live.

Friday, November 15, 2013

It's All Greek to Me: The Famous Athenian Room's Kalamata Chicken


Kalamata Chicken from the Athenian Room
So two weeks ago, my two best friends came to visit from Pennsylvania. Being their first time in Chicago, they could've suggested we do all of the touristy things--Navy Pier, Sears (begrudgingly Willis) Tower, the Field Museum....

Lucky for me, they wanted to eat. A lot.


They were here for three and a half days, but we ate out for every meal...including snacks. I planned an extensive food itinerary for our travels, and the number one restaurant on my list was the Athenian Room.

Living in Lincoln Park, I had heard all about the Athenian Room: "Best Greek food in Chicago," "Tina Fey's favorite restaurant," "Amazing." It had been on my list of restaurants to try since I moved to the city almost a year ago.

Now, I'm not one to order chicken when I go out to eat...it's just one of those things I don't do. Chicken is often basic, and let's be honest--it's usually pretty boring. But two weeks later, I'm writing this blog post and I can still taste the Athenian Room's Kalamata Chicken Dinner.

It was probably the best chicken I've ever had. Ever.

First of all, this chicken dinner is probably the best deal in the city. For $9.99, you get a salad with their incredible house dressing, a warm loaf of bread, and a HALF CHICKEN over a bed of Greek fries that have absorbed their white wine vinegar greek dressing and the juices from the roasted chicken.

Don't get me wrong, the gyro Sarah ordered was delicious, and Caroline's kebobs were yummy, but the overwhelming consensus at the table was what I had been hearing from my friends and internet reviews all along: this chicken is unbelievable.

The meat was tender and juicy, the skin was perfectly crisped. I'm still drooling over the marinade. And those fries...man. Those fries. Surrounded by the warm and authentic Greek decor, it was the perfect early diner.

Needless to say, I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment