Eat, Drink, Live

Eat, Drink, Live.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Healthy Eggplant Mini Pizzas - Obsession


Hello Everyone! I hope you're enjoying your weekend. I've been tirelessly writing essays, but I figure it's the perfect time to take a break and share with you one of my favorite quick and easy meals that I've been crazy about lately.

I saw this idea on Pinterest originally, but I've definitely put my own spin on it and made some modified versions--I've been making tons of mini pizzas out of eggplant recently, and they're absolutely delicious and low-carb!


All you need to do is buy an eggplant, and slice it into rounds...I usually make mine about 3/4-1 inch thick, as you want a solid foundation for the pizza. Heat the oven to 350, and season both sides of the eggplant rounds with salt, pepper, and whatever spices float your boat! I usually rub mine with a bit of Trader Joe's Garlic Simmer sauce, which adds an awesome flavor. Place the rounds on a baking sheet (use aluminum foil and cooking spray for easy clean up!) and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes.

After that, the fun starts! Pull your eggplant rounds out of the oven, and flip all of them over. Then add toppings of your choice! For a traditional pizza, add a little marinara, pepperoni, and a little mozzarella cheese.  Sometimes, I make a Mexican pizza by adding salsa, black beans, and a touch of cheddar. Add anything you like! I've done greek dressing and feta, some pesto and proscuitto...whatever you have in your fridge will work! Get creative, or keep it simple, it doesn't matter!

Then simply put the eggplant rounds back in the oven, and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes. You can broil them, too, if you want the tops to get a little crispy.

These eggplant rounds are simple, healthy, and crazy delicious. They're a great snack or appetizer, or make yourself a few for dinner. Either way, these mini pizzas are guilt free!

No comments:

Post a Comment