Eat, Drink, Live

Eat, Drink, Live.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sleep Tight!


Getting enough sleep is the key to being healthy. Studies have shown that sleep deprivation can lead to serious health problems and can make it more difficult for those trying to shed a few extra pounds.

For a while, I was having trouble sleeping, which is unusual for me. I was having a hard time coping with my lack of energy, and I needed a solution. So, I went back to basics.


That old wive's tale that warm milk can induce sleepiness is factual, and ever since I have started drinking a little warm milk before bed, I've had no problem falling asleep.

The science of it is not in the enzyme tryptophan, as many may believe. Rather, a recent study showed that the effectiveness of milk as a sleep aid is purely psychological. Like our favorite teddy bear or blanket from our childhood, the milk provides psychological comfort to the consumer, helping them relax and eventually fall asleep.

My warm-milk routine is fairly simple, and you can always switch up this recipe if you're looking for something a little different. This is my go-to if I need sleep, and if you find that you need a little extra shut-eye, before trying any medications or other sleep aids, give the warm milk a shot!

Sleepytime Steamer:

Ingredients:


  • Milk
  • Cinnamon
  • Vanilla Extract
  • Stevia (or any sweetener...maple syrup is also delicious!)
  • Marshmallow Fluff (optional)


Procedure:

Pour the milk in a mug with some room to spare (about an inch). Add a small splash of vanilla extract (any extract will do, depending on what you are looking for in terms of flavor) and stevia. Place in the microwave and heat for about a minute and a half or until warm

Stir so that stevia (or sweetener) dissolves, then pour half the mixture into a cereal bowl (particularly a bowl that is not shallow) and whisk quickly until frothy.

Pour the frothed milk back into your mug, and give the mixture a stir. Finish with a sprinkle of cinnamon, or if a little extra sweetness is desired, add a small dollop of Marshmallow Fluff.

Sweet Dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment