Eat, Drink, Live

Eat, Drink, Live.

Friday, November 15, 2013

Welcome to Honey and Herbs!

My mom, grandmother, aunts, and I at
Le Cordon Bleu Cooking School

My name is Hannah, and what can I say, I love food.  I am fortunate enough to have a mother who is an amazing cook and a family that uses food to bring us together. Many people eat to live, but we live to eat. It’s a way of socializing, a way of replenishing our bodies, and in many ways, food can become a physical manifestation of love.

But now I’m living on my own in one of the greatest food cities in America—Chicago. I’m about to enter my second year at DePaul University and I’ve graduated from my dorm and meal plan days to a tiny apartment with an even tinier kitchen. And for the first time in our lives, my roommate and I have to buy groceries, plan menus, and prepare meals for each other.

I’m quickly realizing the struggles with cooking healthy, quick and easy meals without sacrificing taste or blowing my budget. My mother has taught me well, but every week brings a new challenge—whether it’s finding a way to use the last of the overripe avocados or getting creative with the lack of space in our restrictive kitchen.

But overall, I think I’m doing a pretty good job with it, which is why I’ve decided to write this blog. I want to share some of the things I’ve learned with people who are in a similar situations. If I have one reader or a thousand, at least I feel like I’m helping someone else and sharing my knowledge.

Each week, I hope to post easy recipes and products that have made my life a little more fabulous.  I’ll share some of my pantry and refrigerator staples and tips for living a healthier lifestyle. And though my tight budget does not allow for me to dine out very often, I’ll be sure to report on the delicious cuisine this city has to offer.

As an English major, attempting to maintain a healthy lifestyle, with undeniable adoration for food, this blog is a way for me to combine my passions and share some of my discoveries with all of you.

I know I still have a lot to learn, so I’d love to hear tips and tricks from everyone else out there! We’re all in this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment