Eat, Drink, Live

Eat, Drink, Live.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Taste of Autumn - Recipes for the Season


I've been incredibly busy lately, so I haven't had much time to cook. But that doesn't mean that I'm not searching for new recipes to try! I love warm, fall flavors, and as soon as I'm on winter break (only 10 days!) I'm definitely going to give these recipes a try.


I'm linking to some recipes I've found on Pinterest that look amazing, and I thought you might like to try them, too! If you end up giving one a try, feel free to comment and let me know how it turned out!

This Butternut Squash dish just looks
like a taste of autumn!
Roasted Butternut Squash with Kale and Almond Pecan Parmesan

I have a slight obsession with butternut squash...sometimes, I'll make a squash and just eat it with a little cinnamon and olive oil for dinner.

I also can't get enough kale, and as anyone in my family knows, I could live off of pecans...especially my mom's candied pecans, which I'll post a recipe for as we get closer to the holidays!

This recipe from Oh She Glows looks fantastic, and combines some of my favorite ingredients. I'd omit the nutritional yeast and use real parmesan, but this looks absolutely decadent!

Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherds Pie

I'm not sure there's a food out there more comforting than shepherds pie, and this healthy twist on the classic dish jumped out at me because sweet potatoes are another one of my staple foods...I just love them! I've been craving shepherd's pie for weeks now, and this will probably be one of the first recipes I try once I have a little more time on my hands.

A delicious fall comfort food, this Sweet Potato Turkey Shepherds Pie from Skinnytaste sounds like the perfect spin on a classic dish, especially on a crisp autumn day.

Chanterelle Chowder with Bacon and Corn
Seriously, how amazing does this Chanterelle Chowder look?


I'm a recent convert to the world of mushrooms. I used to find them utterly repulsive in general. Then I grew to like the flavor, but the texture was difficult to manage. Now, I am a fungi eating machine, and this food that I once hated, I find that I crave.

I saw this recipe, the picture itself just looks amazing. Then I read the title--chaterelle, bacon, corn. Yep, that sounds about right. I need to make this. I have a mushroom hating roommate, but when I go home for the holidays, I'm sure my family of fungi-philes will absolutely love this recipe.

Coq au Riesling

As a college student, wine is for drinking, not for cooking. But when I go home, I'm certain my family will enjoy this Coq au Vin with a nice riesling.

The flavors, much like the previous recipe I posted, just seem perfect together...the wine, the mushrooms, the pancetta...so warm and inviting, rich without being overpowering. I'm thrilled about giving this recipe a try. It looks so easy, and is something that would surely impress guests at your next dinner party...plus that Harvest Margarita recipe below doesn't look to shabby either!

Sausages with pan cooked chutney and leek mash
This version of bangers and mash gets a fancy update
with Jamie Oliver's recipe!


This recipe from British chef Jamie Oliver caught my eye. I've really been craving bangers and mash lately...not something that I normally have, which is strange. But I think it's the comfort in the combination...the spicyness of the sausage combined with that warm, delectable gravy and, of course, everyone's favorite: mashed potatoes.

But this recipe puts a great spin on the classic, brining in lovely fall flavors for a sophisticated version of the dish. As Jamie calls it, "Bangers and Mash, a bit posh." Cranberries, cinnamon, ginger, and leeks all come together to compose this spin on bangers and mash that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.

Carrot Pistachio Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Of course, I couldn't conclude this post without including an amazing fall dessert recipe. Apple crisps and pumpkin cookies or sweet potato pie are all delicious, but this recipe really stood out to me. One of my dad's favorite desserts is carrot cake, and my mom's recipe for carrot cake is pretty awesome...dad claims it's the best! (Which is pretty funny considering my mom does not like carrot cake at all).

Now, I've never tried this recipe for carrot cake, so I can't say whether or not it's better than my mom's (my guess is that it falls short...her carrot cake is really really good). But what I love about this recipe is the incorporation of pistachios, which I think would be a wonderful addition to my mom's already delicious recipe.

So next time you make a carrot cake, whether your use this recipe or one of your old favorites, consider adding pistachios. Pistachios have a great texture, and a lovely sweet flavor, and I think they would provide a wonderful new dimension of flavor.

So give one of these recipes a shot! I'd love to know how they turn out, and I can't wait to try them, myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment